April 29, 2024, 10:19:57 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Prop 2 telling another Prop 2 what to do over serial radio.

Started by clinefx1, July 08, 2018, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clinefx1

Hello hello-

I'm starting to part together a project and I think the prop-2's will work but I'm not completely sure.

I would like to wirelessly control one prop-2 with another. I would like to have 12 inputs on one and trigger the corresponding outputs on another.  Probably using a HC-12 radio to link them.

12 switches > txProp-2 > hc-12 link > RX Prop-2 > 12 outputs

Basically a 12 channel remote control with a mix of momentary and latched input switches.   As a safety element if the RX-prop2 doesn't see the TX-prop2 it turns all the outputs off. 
What do you think?  Should I continue down this road?   

Thanks
Chris

bsnut

The Prop2(BASIC Stamp 2 the brains of the Prop2) should be able to handle what you want to do. But, you are limited to the highest buad rate of 9600 of the Prop2 and you will need two of them to do what you want to do. Do you have the specs for the radio?
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

clinefx1

Yes the hc-12 can do 9600. I'm also under the impression with a small amount of set up it will simply pump out the data stream it gets in. 

bsnut

Quote from: clinefx1 on July 08, 2018, 11:31:32 PM
Yes the hc-12 can do 9600. I'm also under the impression with a small amount of set up it will simply pump out the data stream it gets in. 
Yes, it would handle it fine. But, you have remember that the Prop2 is a single task controller. This means your sender Prop2 will be sending the button data (tx code coded last) and receiver Prop2 will be running the RX instructions first with your safety code label at the end of the RX instruction.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

It really shouldn't be a problem if you can the system looks like a wire connection. One of the nice things about the BS2 is that it has a time-out feature with SERIN. This would allow the slave end to do a clean shut-down if it stops getting data from the master.

The BS2 will support baud rates well above 9600 (EFX-TEK products routinely use 38400 baud for Prop-2 projects).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

clinefx1

I'm not really sure what you meant by that?

Quote from: JonnyMac on July 09, 2018, 08:05:39 PM
if you can the system looks like a wire connection.

bsnut

I think what Jon meant is that the wire connection is connecting directly to the other Prop-2.

BTW, I forgot that the Prop-2 buad rate was that high.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

You won't have any problems; use SEROUT on the senor side, and SERIN (with a timeout) on the output side.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office