May 01, 2024, 03:10:12 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Storing EFX-TEK Objects for Later Reuse

Started by JonnyMac, April 17, 2012, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

April 17, 2012, 12:16:01 PM Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:19:54 PM by JonnyMac
When one archives a project from the Propeller Tool all of the required objects are gathered into a single zip file.  This allows the end user to unzip to any location.

Suggestion: Objects that you'll want to use in your own programs -- from any folder on your system -- should be moved to the Propeller Library on your system.  The easiest way to do this is to open the object and then use Save To... Propeller Library from the File menu (in the Propeller Tool).  After you do this you must erase the local copy.  When the Propeller tool compiles a program it looks in the local directory first, then in the Propeller Library.

How can you tell if the object is coming from the Propeller Library and not the local folder? Have a look at the image below.  In the upper left is project after compilation.  The objects with blue icons indicate these come from the Propeller Library.  If after compiling you see one of these as yellow it means that you didn't delete the local copy.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

One thing that I do is store all my objects in the Propeller library including the top object file not in a local file directory.

Also don't make the mistake that I made by having an object in a local file and not in the Propeller library when compiling your file and not the naming files with spaces in-between the words in the file name (ie, my file name) when it should've been this (ie, myfilename) or this (ie, my_file_name).
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

April 17, 2012, 09:35:26 PM #2 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:36:58 PM by JonnyMac
I wouldn't recommend storing your top object (main project file) in the library -- think of the library as storage for those objects that will be shared across multiple projects.

I never use spaces in file names, even if the OS allows.  An underscore works nicely and is cross-platform compatible.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

Quote from: JonnyMac on April 17, 2012, 09:35:26 PM
I wouldn't recommend storing your top object (main project file) in the library -- think of the library as storage for those objects that will be shared across  multiple projects.
So, where would you recommend to store the top object?
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

Somewhere on your system whee you keep your other programming related files.  In my system I have a folder called "Programming" under "My Documents" and under that I break it down into the various languages and controllers that I use (Prop-1, Prop-2, Prop-SX, Propeller, etc.).  In my Propeller folder I have general programs (mine) and separate folders for customers.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

I would suggest using a back-up service that stores your important stuff off site.  I use carbonite and have been very satisfied.   I am sure you already do this being the detailed oriented person you are.