April 29, 2024, 09:08:01 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

DC-16 and vixen

Started by elmo2resc, July 20, 2008, 12:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmo2resc

I was wondering if the DC-16 will do what I want it to do. I use vixen 2.0 for Xmas and Halloween. I want to build some props to be controlled by r/c servos connected to my PC and controlled by vixen. Specifically I want to have a talking skull controlled by three servos. After that I would like to add other items. I don't need to have things run separately from the PC because they will tied into a show with music. If it will work for this purpose do I need anything else to besides the DC board. Thanks for any help. If I understand right, it will do this although there isn't any real recent information on  this and on www.doityourselfchristmas.com there isn't any real post about these boards in the halloween section. I see the plugins in vixen for all the boards. The people on DIYC have helped me a lot with building controller boards.  I hope I will be able to pass information on to them about  EFT-TEK products and setup. Thanks for any help.
Jerome

JonnyMac

The DC-16 is on and off only, it does not have the ability to provide the PPM output required for servos.  The Prop-SX on the other hand, is completely programmable and could be used.  At the moment we have couple programs that allow the Prop-SX to control servos and PWM (for LEDs, etc.) with VSA, and a Vixen driver could be developed that is compatible with this code (we'll have to ask KC to do that for us).

We have not switched to Vixen 2.0, though, all the our drivers are for 1.1.11 at the moment.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

elmo2resc

So it doesn't sound like at the time I can do this with vixen with any of the boards. Is vixen just used then to program the boards? I guess I am a little confused.
Jerome

livinlowe

Vixen can be considered an "orchastrator". The boards only respond to vixen, and only then they need to be programmed.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

In our product line only the Prop-SX has the horsepower to accept a data stream from Vixen and turn it into servo pulses as you want for your animated skull.  We do have a simple driver for the Prop-2, but as the cost is the same as the Prop-SX and the Prop-2 version is very limited, I would go with the Prop-SX.

If you already have some DC-16s you can use them with Vixen, but you'll only be able to turn things on and off -- no servo control from the DC-16 (that's not what it was designed for).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

elmo2resc

OK, so the Prop-SX does work with vixen. Does the Prop-SX stand alone and or can it stay connected to the PC so vixen can start the sequence? I have not purchased any EFX-TEK boards yet. I am new to building props and controls. I do however know how to use vixen and animate lights. Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to figure out what I can and can't do. Thanks, Jerome

JonnyMac

Yes, the Prop-SX can be programmed to do about anything and it can (and has been) programmed as a slave to work with Vixen and VSA -- that is, it stays connected.  In fact, we have a starter program for what you want to do, but need to make a couple changes.  That will let us use the same code in the Prop-SX for Vixen and VSA.  The Prop-SX interprets the servo command stream and maintains the servos (up to 16).  To receive the servo data and keep servos updated requires multi-tasking with the Prop-SX is capable of doing.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office