May 18, 2024, 06:04:37 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Question about controlling LED christmas lights and the DC-16,FC-4, & RC-4

Started by youngti, November 10, 2008, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngti

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about switching all of my Christmas lights from the old style C9, to the new LED C9's.  Main reason is these lights are about 98% for efficient (or thats the advertising) than the normal C9's.  Trying to cut my Holiday electric bill which soars due to the lights.

My question is using the boards, FC-4, DC-16 or RC-4 will I be able to get the same effects?  Such as fading, dimming, chasing and such?  I've heard that some controllers do not work with the LED's.   Not real up on the light controls, this would be my first try and I don't want to plunk down the money if the LED's don't work.

Thanks.

JonnyMac

You cannot do fading with the FC-4 as LED light strings require a minimum voltage to light at all and the phase-angle dimming that most AC circuits just doesn't work with LEDs.  You tend to see the LED strings stay off until you hit that threshold (about 50% we've seen) and then there is very slight dimming control from there.

Now, as far as straight switching you can use the digital mode of the FC-4 and of course the RC-4.  Programs like Vixen can send messages quickly to the RC-4 and FC-4 to create very nice effects.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

So it sounds like the dimming would not really be noticeable and it would end up be on/off only.  correct?

JonnyMac

Yes.  Let me suggest that if you're going to go the Vixen route that basic switching is the best place to start.  If you think prop programming is tedious, wait until you try synchronizing a bunch of light channels to music.  The cool thing about using the RC-4 is that you can control 16 channels (four RC-4s) and you can sit at your desk to do it as the RC-4 LED will show you channel status.

To control your RC-4s with a PC you'll need our Serial Inverter and the FC-4/RC-4 driver for Vixen.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office