May 20, 2024, 07:06:23 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Controlling a Prop-SX with VSA

Started by Ryanm0085, June 28, 2009, 05:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanm0085

I was looking to buy a skull kit off of an internet site but they are pretty pricey.  i saw that vsa will work with a prop-sx.  i was wondering, will VSA run the Prop-SX or is VSA only used to program the Prop-SX.  i am trying to only buy parts i need for the skull to lower the price. i already have a prop SX so if i can use VSA to run the SX, then i wouldn't have to buy a servo controller.   But i need VSA to run the scene.

gmacted

I used the Prop-SX and VSA on control 2 3-axis skulls.  Here's a link to my semi-completed project: http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=794.0.  Unfortunately I never made a video of the complete project, but needless to say, the kids (and parents) loved it.

JonnyMac

You need the SX-Key IDE (from Parallax) and and SX-Key/Blitz to program the Prop-SX.  We've written code that emulate SEETRON servo controllers (with dimmers, too) that are compatible with VSA. 

The short version is that VSA is a show-controller and is not used to program the Prop-SX.  See the Library section of the forums for recent updates on my VSA programs for the Prop-SX.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Ryanm0085

i believe i have the Blitz Programmer.  when i started adding the automation to our haunt i went crazy and bought different controllers to try them out, but settled on the prop-2.  So i have a prop-sx trainer board that i am hoping will work.  i'm just starting to get the hang of the prop-2, but not even close to go on to the sx.  If i can use VSA to run the prop-sx, then i am in good shape.   My next question would be time.  Would it be infinite since VSA is telling it what to do, or do i still have to download the program to it?

JonnyMac

You have to download a program to the Prop-SX (I've written a few that you can get from the Library section) that correctly interprets the data stream from VSA.  Programming the Prop-SX is through a special 4-pin header on the board; VSA will connect to the serial port.

Note, too, that the Prop-SX needs a resonator installed to run; I typically use 50MHz.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Ryanm0085

alright jon sounds good...now i have to add this to my lists of projects to get done before we open in october....

Ryanm0085

ok jon....so i bought the sx training board a while ago...  i loaded the code from the library section,hooked up an led, and tried controlling it but im not getting anything at all... i double checked the way everything was hooked up and i believe its right...  im at a stand still here... i changed all the settings in the vsa program but still am not getting anything.  the only thing i could think of is becuase its not the sx prop controller.   any ideas?

JonnyMac

Which SX training board?  My code for the Prop-SX assumes you have an RS-232 input as we do on the Prop-SX.  If you're using the PDB (as I do) then you have a DB-9 and the proper circuitry in place.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Ryanm0085

Its not infront of me right now but it is called te Prop-SX Tech...  Its a small board.  I am able to send the program to it, but im guessing VSA is not communicating with it.  I have the SX-Key not the blitz...not sure if that would do it.   However, if i unplug the board with VSA running, it says the communication has been interrupted.  so i am guessing VSA knows its there, just doesnt know what to do with it.  so confused....

JonnyMac

VSA has now way of communicating with that board as there is no serial port on it.

What may be confusing you is that the SX-Key/Blitz cannot be used to send/receive serial data to the SX -- programming the SX is a completely different beast than the Prop-1 or Prop-2.  If you look closely at our Prop-SX it has a serial port (just like on the Prop-2) and ans specific 4-pin programming port for the SX chip; this is where you plug in the Key or Blitz.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

If you are trying to communicate with the SX chip through the 4 pin programming port it won't work. That 4 pin port is only for programming not serial communications.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

Ryanm0085

I used the 4-pin to program it and connected the serial to usb adapter to run it with VSA.  like i said...the adapter seems to be recieving the signal, but nothings happening ont the board...

livinlowe

July 14, 2009, 06:47:06 AM #12 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:53:41 AM by livinlowe
Quote from: Ryanm0085 on July 13, 2009, 06:33:05 PM
I used the 4-pin to program it and connected the serial to usb adapter to run it with VSA.  like i said...the adapter seems to be recieving the signal, but nothings happening ont the board...

When you say you used the 4-pin connector to program it then connected the serial to usb adapter, I assume you removed the Blitz programmer after programming? Again you cannot do serial communications (like those VSA uses) through the 4-pin connector. It is only connected to the pins that program the SX. If the serial to usb adapter is blinking that means VSA is sending data to the adapter, but nothing will be coming from the SX over the 4-pin connector.

Edit: there is nothing else that will connect to the 4-pin connector but the blitz programmer so I assume incorrectly.
Shawn

JonnyMac

Shawn is correct: you cannot "talk" to the Prop-SX with the Blitz or Key other than to program it; you must use the DB-9 connector (with code in the controller) for serial comms.  If you look at my VSA examples in the VSA library you'll see this.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

July 14, 2009, 12:14:04 PM #14 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:18:14 PM by livinlowe
Quote from: JonnyMac on July 14, 2009, 11:13:03 AM
Shawn is correct: you cannot "talk" to the Prop-SX with the Blitz or Key other than to program it; you must use the DB-9 connector (with code in the controller) for serial comms.  If you look at my VSA examples in the VSA library you'll see this.

And if you are using a SX-tech board from Parallax, you won't have a DB-9 connector

Edit: I see at the top of this thread you say you have a Prop-SX board. Are you using the Prop-SX or the SX-tech board??
Shawn